Donate
Email Password
Not a member? Sign Up   Forgot password?
Business and Economics Education Environment Health Care California
Home
About PRI
My PRI
Contact
Search
Policy Research Areas
Events
Publications
Press Room
PRI Blog
Jobs Internships
Scholars
Staff
Book Store
Policy Cast
Upcoming Events
WSJ's Stephen Moore Book Signing Luncheon-Rescheduled for December 17
12.17.2012 12:00:00 PM
Who's the Fairest of Them All?: The Truth About Opportunity, ... 
More

Recent Events
Victor Davis Hanson Orange County Luncheon December 5, 2012
12.5.2012 12:00:00 PM

Post Election: A Roadmap for America's Future

 More

Post Election Analysis with George F. Will & Special Award Presentation to Sal Khan of the Khan Academy
11.9.2012 6:00:00 PM

Pacific Research Institute Annual Gala Dinner

 More

Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts
10.19.2012 5:00:00 PM
Author Book Signing and Reception with U.S. Supreme Court Justice ... More

Opinion Journal Federation
Town Hall silver partner
Lawsuit abuse victims project
Blog RSS Archive
E-mail Print Just What is the Message?


By: Thomas Tanton
2.2.2009

The California State Lands Commission has rejected a proposal that could have led to the first new oil drilling project off the California coast in 40 years. The panel, January 29th, voted 2-1 against Plains Exploration & Production Co.'s request for approval of its bid to expand drilling off Platform Irene in the Santa Barbara Channel. Commission Executive Officer Paul Thayer said the project is effectively dead unless the oil company takes it to court or reapplies to the commission with a new proposal. The proposal, which would have been worth billions of dollars, was announced last year with a landmark alliance between longtime anti-oil environmentalists and the oil company.

 

According to various sources, including his own own campaign website, Garamendi, argued strongly that the plan would "signal" that California wants to open offshore drilling and supporters would push for more oil exploration on the West Coast.

“I refuse to let this lease move forward,” Garamendi said. “Approving a drilling proposal will undercut congressional efforts to reintroduce a federal moratorium on offshore oil drilling earlier lifted by the Bush Administration."

Well, the Bush administration did remove an executive order moratorium, but it was Congress that let expire the Congressionally imposed moratorium. Furthermore, the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors voted last year to encourage additional drilling--and they're the ones whose constituents are most directly affected. The board voted 3-2 to send a letter to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger encouraging him to consider allowing more oil drilling off [Santa Barbara] county shores.

I'm not sure what message Mr. Garamendi wants to "signal." It may be that he doesn't want competing interests (like oil companies and environmentalists) to compromise with each other. It may be that he doesn't want technology advances, aimed at protecting against a recurrence of the 40 year old oil spill, to be persued. It may be that he simply chooses to forego the dollars the State would reap from royalty revenues.



offshore drilling

 

Submit to: 
Submit to: Digg Submit to: Del.icio.us Submit to: Facebook Submit to: StumbleUpon Submit to: Newsvine Submit to: Reddit
Browse by
Recent Publications
Blog Archive
Powered by eResources