Media Relations Associate
Pacific Research Institute
Pacific Research Institute (PRI) is a California-based think-tank championing freedom, opportunity, limited government, and personal responsibility. We are “policy entrepreneurs putting ideas into action.” PRI provides practical, market-based solutions on issues affecting California and the nation. The Institute’s research focuses on education reform, health care and medical innovation, economic and fiscal policy, the environment, and California-focused issues.
PRI is hiring a Media Relations Associate to help increase public awareness of PRI, its team of scholars, and latest publications and research, and position PRI as a go-to source for free-market research and perspective on state and federal policy issues.
The position will entail utilizing all of the tools in the communications toolbox to help secure media opportunities and placements promoting PRI’s scholars and research. The ideal candidate will be able to successfully break down often complex public policy research to market PRI’s scholars and research to the public and news media and influence public opinion.
The position reports to the Senior Director of Communications and the Senior Vice President. It is a full-time, in-person (non-remote) position that would be based in either PRI’s Sacramento or Pasadena offices (depending on where the applicant lives), with occasional travel required. We offer employees competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
PRI is an equal opportunity employer.
- Writing and editing press releases, op-eds, and collateral materials, including a weekly blog column for PRI’s “Right by the Bay” blog
- Identifying media opportunities for PRI’s scholars and research, and pitching our work to reporters, editors and bookers in California and nationally
- Preparing and staffing PRI scholars for media interviews, as warranted
- Building and maintaining good relationships with reporters, editors, and bookers
- Preparing and sending PRI’s weekly e-mail updates; maintaining PRI’s e-mail lists
- Updating PRI’s websites, microsites, and social media accounts regularly with new and engaging content
- Maintaining PRI’s media impact database; sending key media hits to staff and scholars
- Working with PRI’s team of consultants to successfully execute PRI’s marketing and communications strategies
- Assisting with planning/execution of PRI events
- Helping Senior Director of Communications and Senior Vice President with special projects, as warranted.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to free-market principles
- 3 or more years of relevant experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Highly motivated, strong work ethic, personal initiative, and hands-on approach
- Ability to balance multiple projects in deadline-driven environment
- Experience managing multiple vendor relationships
- BA/BS required, graduate degree a plus
Other Desired Skills
- Strong network of contacts with California/national reporters, editors and bookers
- Working knowledge of current California and federal policy issues
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- One-page resume
- One page cover letter summarizing your interest in the position, past relevant experience, and your commitment to helping PRI advance its free-market policy objectives
- Two writing samples – a press release and an op-ed or blog post (preferably on free-market issues). Each of the samples should be 500 words or less and the sole, original work of the applicant. The submitted samples can be either past or new work.
- A list of three references
- Salary requirements
Send your application materials to Tim Anaya, PRI Senior Director of Communications, at [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in the position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.