Development and Events Manager
The Pacific Research Institute (PRI) is a think-tank dedicated to championing freedom, opportunity, limited government, and personal responsibility. PRI’s mission is to provide practical, market-based solutions on issues affecting the citizens of California and all Americans. The Institute’s research focuses on California state policy, education reform, health care, tax and fiscal policy, and the environment. We are “policy entrepreneurs putting ideas into action.”
The Development and Events Manager is a key part of the Development Department and is responsible for supporting the Department in all administrative functions. The position will perform duties related to PRI’s fundraising efforts and events, including managing the processing of donations and acknowledgments; maintaining PRI’s donor database; preparing donor welcome kits, grant proposals, and other mailings; and assisting with the planning, organization, promotion, and facilitation of all PRI events. The Development and Events Manager must have a positive and professional mindset and be able to multi-task, follow direction, and to embrace change.
The successful candidate will work out of PRI’s office in Pasadena and will report to the Director of Development, working closely with PRI’s Director of Events, outside vendors and contractors, and other PRI personnel, including world-class scholars.
Some key responsibilities will include:
- Assist with execution of regular outreach and solicitation programs
- Assist with coordinating and reporting on mailing programs
- Edit/proof grant proposals and reports on foundation grants
- Manage and prioritize development schedule for letters, proposals, and reports for existing and potential donors
- Assist with researching new and prospective donors
- Maintain electronic files of grants and donor communication
- Manage PRI’s donor database to ensure it is updated on a regular basis
- Process and reconcile contributions and event ticket sales with accounting department
- Monitor, code, and track grants/contributions in donor database
- Initiate and coordinate efforts to promote PRI events via email, newspaper ads, phone calls, Twitter, and Facebook
- Assist with preparing event budgets and provide progress reports for each event
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean-up for events
- Prepare nametags, development and marketing materials, registration lists, seating cards, and other material for Southern California events
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for Southern California events
- Assist where necessary, with various operational and administrative tasks
The ideal candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree (or higher) and have at least two years of experience working in fundraising or events for a non-profit organization. More important, the successful applicant should have a work/internship history that demonstrates keen intelligence, success in managing multiple projects simultaneously, a high degree of personal initiative and conscientiousness, excellent organizational skills, and superb interpersonal skills.
Additional requirements include:
- Experience in working with databases (Raiser’s Edge experience is a plus)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to take personal ownership of assignments
- Very strong work ethic
Ultimately, one should be committed to the mission of PRI and be able to represent the Institute, its mission, programs, and research before diverse audiences.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
If interested, please reply via email with a cover letter, resume, and salary history and/or requirements to: Ben Smithwick, Director of Development, email@example.com