Media Relations and Outreach Associate
Pacific Research Institute
The Pacific Research Institute (PRI) is a California based think-tank dedicated to championing freedom, opportunity, limited government, and personal responsibility. PRI’s mission is to provide practical, market-based solutions on issues affecting the citizens of California and all Americans. The Institute’s research focuses on education reform, health care, tax and fiscal policy, and the environment. We are “policy entrepreneurs putting ideas into action.”
PRI is hiring a full-time Media Relations and Outreach Associate, who would work closely with the Communications Director and the Senior Vice President in increasing PRI’s visibility in state and national media, assist with regular media outreach, and plan and execute media and third-party outreach efforts in launching and promoting PRI publications and briefs.
The Media Relations and Outreach Associate would also oversee the operation and growth of PRI’s Young Leaders Circle in San Francisco. PRI’s Young Leaders Circle brings together young professionals between the ages of 21-40 who are interested in the ideas of liberty. Through engagement with PRI’s high-caliber programs and events, Young Leaders Circle network, learn about today’s pressing public policy issues, and become more effective advocates for liberty.
The position would be primarily based in PRI’s Sacramento office. However, the candidate will be expected to work 1 to 2 days per month – and additional days as required – in PRI’s San Francisco office on activities relating to the Young Leaders Circle, including event planning and executive and membership recruitment and cultivation. Additional state and national travel may be required on occasion.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Distributing and writing/editing (as needed) press releases, op-eds, advertising, and collateral materials.
- Writing and distributing PRI’s regular weekly e-mail updates (“Policy Alert”, “Focus on California” and “Focus on Health Care”).
- Pitching PRI scholarship to relevant state/national media; op-eds to editorial pages; and PRI scholars to radio/TV outlets.
- Writing, posting, and editing (as needed) regular content for PRI’s daily “Right by the Bay” blog.
- Coordinating the activities of PRI’s Young Leaders Circle (SF-based organization for 21-40 year-olds interested in free-market ideas), including planning (securing speaker, venue, and catering) 4-6 YLC events annually in San Francisco, overseeing membership (payment of dues), cultivating and growing membership rolls, promotion (including YLC social media accounts) and exploring partnership opportunities with other organizations.
- Maintaining PRI and Center for Medical Economics and Innovation websites, ensuring both are continually updated with new content.
- Overseeing development/posting of engaging content to grow PRI’s social media presence, coordinating social media strategy with PRI’s social media consultants.
- Strengthening relationships with media, lawmakers, business groups, and trade associations, and community/grassroots groups.
- Updating PRI’s media impact database on a regular basis to ensure all PRI media hits by subject area are logged/promoted.
- Assisting with planning/execution of PRI events in Sacramento, and PRI annual galas in San Francisco and Southern California.
- Helping communications director and senior vice president, marketing with special projects, as warranted.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to the free-market message.
- 4 or more years of communications, public relations, and writing experience, including regular involvement with media, lawmakers, and business leaders.
- Previous work/volunteer experience with grassroots outreach/organizing.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience crafting messages for various audiences and creative approaches to outreach.
- Contacts among state and national media, as well as experience with Internet marketing and social media.
- Highly motivated, strong work ethic, personal initiative, and hands-on approach.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and work effectively with little direction/feedback in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to manage multiple vendor relationships.
- BA required, graduate degree a plus.
To apply, qualified applicants should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing: 1) your interest in the position/the mission of the organization; 2) a description ofyour past experience inbothmedia relations and grassroots outreach; and 3) your salary requirements
- Three writing samples – 1) a press release; 2) an op-ed or blog post on a free-market issue; and 3) a marketing-related sample (e-mail pitch, social media campaign, etc.)
- A list of three references
Send your application materials to Tim Anaya, PRI Communications Director, at email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in the position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.